Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Share and share alike


We recently started getting a "share" from our local organic farmers' co-op. Every Wednesday morning, Anna and I trek to a little coffee shop in Montrose, where they have the co-op set up. We order a small mixed share every week (to be picked up the following week). It's so much fun to get there and see what treats are in our share each week. Last week, here's what was in the share:

  • A bunch (head?) of celery
  • An eggplant
  • A large Russet potato
  • A head of red-tipped Romaine lettuce
  • A bunch of spinach
  • A cucumber
  • A yellow onion
  • A head (bunch?) of broccoli
It was really nice to have some staples (lettuce, potato) but also to have some different things to try. I like researching recipes to find the best ways to use our produce.

Today, the following was in our share:

  • Curly-leaf Romaine lettuce
  • An eggplant
  • Red onions
  • Slicer tomatoes
  • Kiwi
  • Peaches
  • New potatoes
  • Kale
Now, I need another recipe for eggplant. I sliced, browned, covered it in sauteed onions and cheddar cheese before broiling it, last week. It was good with a side of pasta and marinara. I'm thinking that I might give these eggplant "fries" a shot this week.

No comments: