I've never had morning sickness. Never when I was pregnant with Anna and not yet in this pregnancy. I have, however, been getting sick-feeling in the evenings with this pregnancy. About 4pm, I feel a little "ick" start to settle in. I typically drink a Coke to hold me over until dinner and then, once I eat, I'm fine. But then, as bedtime approaches, I get full-on nauseous--that awful, "I just need to lie very still and take deep breaths or I'm going to hurl" nausea. Now, I'm no stranger to nausea. Anyone who knows me well knows that I've splattered vomit all over these continental United States and some parts of Italy and Mexico. I know what to do when I'm nauseous and this usually includes thinking NOT of anything food-related--usually not even beverage-related. I've learned to go to my "happy place" and try to think my way out of puking. This nausea is different though: While trying to talk myself out of vomiting, I'm simultaneously STARVING.
Have you ever noticed how many adds for food there are during the 10pm news? Well, every night, as I'm laying in bed, trying to will away the spew, I see adds for KFC, Olive Garden, Taco Bell, Jack In The Box or, my own, personal nemesis: Schlotzsky's-- and they drive me wild with hunger. Had this been my first pregnancy, when Kevin was very attentive to my every need and when we were living foot-loose and fancy-free, I would've demanded that he immediately go to KFC and get me a boneless variety bucket--STAT! ("It's for the baaaaby") These days though, it's just not practical (nor in the budget) to demand that Kevin meet my every culinary (if you can call KFC, Olive Garden, etc in any way "culinary") whim. I'm thinking that my body is trying to tell me to eat a snack before bed but the problem is that I don't want what we have to snack on: I want a New! Schlotsky's Ranch Club Sandwich! Now with savory dipping sauces!
Tonight, I'm going to try to eat a hearty snack before going to bed and see if that keeps this weird Yin/Yang of misery at bay. If you happen to be watching the 10pm news tonight, think of me when you see the barrage of food commercials and imagine my internal struggles.
1 comment:
Yes, I have fond memories of your heaving abilities. Remember you, Troy, and I getting ready for a night on the town and SOMEONE decided to have a Sonic Chili Dog...while wearing beautiful white Keds.....
Post a Comment