Monday, July 28, 2008

A rough ending to a great weekend

On our way home from a lovely weekend with friends, we got a call from up the interstate a bit that our friends had just seen a horrific motorcycle accident and that we should plan to get off the highway at some point to avoid the traffic delays. Kevin and I only saw the aftermath of the accident, but could easily tell that it was a deadly one. According to our friends who witnessed the crash, a motorcyclist was driving recklessly, weaving in and out of traffic, with a female passenger on the back. Neither were wearing helmets. The motorcycle apparently clipped a car and well...that was that. I'm very thankful that the car that was clipped wasn't our friends' car or that our friends weren't otherwise injured (although, I can imagine that seeing what they saw was damaging in it's own right). It really made me think about how, one second you're here and then POOF!, you're gone. It also makes me angry that someone would drive that recklessly, without a helmet, on a major interstate, compromising the safety of everyone nearby.

I've been scouring the internet today, trying to get more information on the accident. There was a quick snippet about it on the news last night, but they only confirmed what we already pretty much knew: motorcycle accident--2 causalities--3 hour delays on I10. So sad. So senseless. I hope with all my might that they were at least organ donors (which, I believe, should be a requirement to obtain a motorcycle license).

In other news: The weekend was relaxing, fun and just generally grand. Anna wore herself out. She got to spend the whole weekend with her BFF and got to visit with her beloved cousin Nolan too. There was swimming in the river as well as rock tossing and bubble blowing. Life just doesn't get much better than that. This picture was taken about 10 minutes after we hit the road to come home. She was already out like a light.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

if anything should happen, all of my organs are up for grabs....