Thursday, March 19, 2009

Upper level management

Wow. Remember me? I have zero time to blog these days--this is not to say that there isn't anything to talk about (although, it's probably nothing exciting) it's just that I rarely get a chance to sit down and put my thoughts down and in the 15 or so minutes to myself that I get each day, I tend to spend that time peeing, eating and reading up on celebrity gossip.

In a nutshell, things are going ok here--it's really an adjustment though. Two kids is, as so many people told me, exponentially harder than just one. Just getting out of the house is a small feat. I have to make sure that Jack is fed before we leave. He has a pretty bad spitting-up problem, so after eating, he needs to sit upright for as long as humanly possible to keep the goods in him, so there's no feeding him and immediately sticking him in the car seat to hit the road. Also, his diaper needs to be changed before he eats, because if you feed him and then lay him down to change his diaper--"urp", yep...puke in his ears. Also, it seems as though my children have developed an uncanny ability to synchronize their pooping, so one poops, the other poops and then I'm suddenly up to my elbows in feces. This seems to always occur right as we're trying to get out of the house to go somewhere.

Also, the sleeping is just not happening--at least for me. My boy likes (and really, demands) that he be held while sleeping. This means that I spend much of my days holding a sleeping baby, while looking around helplessly at everything that needs to be done around my house. Also at night, the same rules apply, so I've succumbed to just letting him sleep with me so that I can get at least a couple of hours of sleep a night. Sleep training will just have to wait for now because Mama is tired.

On the bright side, it feels like we're finally adjusting to the time change. We've made a pact to get Anna into bed at a reasonable hour at night so that (if for no other reason) we can have a little calm before our bedtime. With each passing day, I feel like we're finding our footing a little better around here though. We've already attended two library storytimes, both of which went off without a hitch, (except for some minor drama when we left beloved "Lambie" at the library farthest from our house and didn't realize he was missing until naptime. Luckily, everything turned out well, but not before I panicked and loaded the kids back into the car to fly back to the library to retrieve him) so it's quite an accomplishment to log some time outside of the house with both kids. It builds my confidence but the idea of the grocery store with both kids in tow is still way more than I can fathom.

Another good thing is my "push present" from Kevin. I got this. Now, before you drag Kevin aside to tar and feather him for getting his wife a vacuum cleaner as thanks for growing and giving birth to his child, you should know that I asked for this. While many women might ask for diamonds as their "push present", I pulled Kevin over to the vacuum department at Target and told him this was what I wanted. Now, when time and children allow, I vacuum my family room and kitchen with much gusto.

Sadly, I can't find our USB cord to upload pictures from our camera to the computer, so new pictures of the kids will have to wait for now. Trust me though, they're cute enough kids.

1 comment:

kaylynrenee said...

Hi! My name is Kaylyn and I am a friend of Kate McCarrell's. She sent me the link to your blog a few weeks ago for me to follow and I just wanted to say how much I've been enjoying it. I have a 15 m/o son and another baby on the way, due in August, so this post helped the ball of nerves in my stomach grow just a pinch ;0) but I suppose all the preparation I can get ahead of time is a good thing! I have a blog also (kaylynrenee.blogspot.com). I'm having a hard time finding my clever/witty bone that you have! Keep up all the good work! It looks like you're doing fantastic!