Friday, August 15, 2008

Random Act of Telemarketing

At about 2pm this afternoon, I was laying in bed, having just had a pleasant cat nap while the rain steadily beat down on our house. The phone rang, the caller id said, "Unknown Caller" and displayed a number that I didn't know. I hesitated to answer it, but since we're on a "do not call" list, it's always fun to fuss at telemarketers who call anyway.

I answered the phone and heard the following:
"Hello, my apologies for the message, but it was urgent that I called as soon as possible. I would like to let you know how important and appreciated you are to me and others--for some reason I know you needed to hear this right now. Thanks and have a great day. Bye."


When I heard the first part...about how it was urgent that they called as soon as possible, I was ready for the spiel about "introductory interest rates" and such. What a surprise to hear the rest of the message. There was no indication of who the call was from--no solicitation--nothing. Odd and, well, sort of nice.

I got on the computer and Googled the phone number, only to find comments by other people who've received the same message. It seems as though, for many of the others, they really needed to hear that message. Some of them had just lost a loved one; some were doing more than they should to help others; some had just simply given blood the day before. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything especially nice that I've done recently...at least nothing to warrant that grateful message. It was probably a wrong number.

1 comment:

Ann Marie said...

Wow - that is so cool. I guess God knew that you needed that. Was the phone number 777-777-7777? ;)