Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Advantages to being early

I had an 8am doctor's appointment today. It should've been a standard, weight, blood pressure and baby's heartbeat via doppler microphone-appointment. Well, due to the crazy rain this morning, the doctor's office was having trouble getting up and running. They didn't take me into an exam room until almost 8:20am. Once in the room, the nurse told me that they were waiting on the person who has the key to the cabinet to get there, so that they could unlock the dopplers and listen to the baby's heartbeat.

I waited for awhile and then the Physician's Assistant came in and told me that they were just going to pull an ultrasound machine in and do an ultrasound on me instead. Score! You have to realize that many, many women only get 1...maybe 2 ultrasounds over the course of their pregnancy, so the fact that I've now had 2 and will definitely have at least one more is huge!

This ultrasound was really cool. The baby has changed so much since last month! We saw arms, hands, legs, feet all wiggling and then the baby did an impressive triple toe loop. It was all quite awesome. Here's a picture:


What you're seeing here is the beginning of teeth (white line on the right--which he/she will need to defend itself against Big Sis, The Bonafide Bully) and a hand (white line floating on top...the white lines are bones). The spine and ribs are visible on the bottom. We also saw the ventricles in the skull, where the brain is forming. This was probably the most detailed ultrasound that I've ever had. I just wish that Kevin could've been there for it.

Just so you'll know: Unfortunately, my ultrasounds never photograph well because I have an inverted (tipped uterus). You can add that to the ever-expanding list of personal things that you never really wanted to know about me and my anatomy.

1 comment:

Vicki Jamison said...

""You have to realize that many, many women only get 1...maybe 2 ultrasounds over the course of their pregnancy, so the fact that I've now had 2 and will definitely have at least one more is huge!""

My how times and attitudes have changed...when I had my babies 30 and 25 years ago respectively...sonograms (predecessor to ultrasounds) were only for problematic pregnancies...

I have SUCH a soap box about Western medicine's intervention in healthy pregnancies...

Cute early baby pic...can't wait to see the real thing!