an update, just for giggles. Still no power at our house. I'm really, really, really trying to be patient and count my blessings (markedly, the fact that our house is not damaged at all) but 2 weeks with no power is no day at the spa. Honestly, it's really not that bad. I think that Kevin and I have finally stopped reaching for the light switch in the closet every time we go in there, only to fruitlessly yank at it in the dark. The generator that we've borrowed has been great for keeping the stuff in the fridge sort of cool-ish. We can also run the tv, (albeit with Kevin's make-shift, wire hanger rabbit ears) the coffeemaker, the hair dryer, a few lamps and a fan for Anna's room. Those conveniences make all the difference in the world. As I drive down our street everyday and I see countless houses with piles of moldy, damp carpet piled high on their curb, I thank my lucky stars that we don't have a damp house to contend with, in addition to the lack of power.
Centertpoint has continued to push back our estimated date of power restoration so many times that 1. I've lost count and 2. I don't even pay attention to their promises anymore. Seems silly anyway to try and make those sort of sweeping, generalized promises in the first place. Something that is unsettling is that we're seeing next to zero progress on the power outage in our area. The intersections all around us are still in disrepair and darn scary to contend with most times of day (night especially). People in other parts of town have spoken of giant caravans of energy trucks taking over their neighborhood, working 24 hours a day. We've seen no such thing so far. Today, I went down the street directly behind us, as I saw several large, important-looking trucks with lights on top parked in the street. I got prematurely excited. As I approached, I saw that the trucks weren't energy trucks but instead were gunite trucks. Guess someone thought this was a good week to blow some gunite into their swimming pool. For shame for getting my stupid little hopes up.
In the meantime, my teeth feel like they're rotting out of my head, due to the insane amount of HFCS (come on, people...High Fructose Corn Syrup) that I'm consuming on a daily basis. Seems as though most of the "convenience" foods to which we've been relying on lately for sustenance all contain lots of the stuff. My colon is probably also going to fall out of my butt soon, due to a lack of fresh vegetables. I went down the canned veggie aisle at the grocery store the other day, but just couldn't bring myself to do it.
This post has turned into a pity party--a pity party that I have no business throwing for myself. The thing is, we have so much to be thankful for in light of this whole ordeal. Realistically, we're managing surprisingly well--especially considering that we have a toddler in our home, several (cough) cats and a very prissy mama/wife. The latest news from Centerpoint is that some areas won't get power back until November and that a lot of our intersections will be not-functioning for upwards to 6 months. I have a very bad premonition that we'll be the ones BBQ-ing our turkey this year for Thanksgiving but we will still have a lot to be thankful for.
No comments:
Post a Comment