I don't write much about the antics of the kids' group that I'm a member of. I guess I have a weird, Narcissistic delusion that someday, one of the moms will Google me, find this blog and then I'll be kicked out of the club or something. Today though, I came across something that I just had to write about. It would eat me alive not to.
A new pub has apparently opened in the Heights. The Heights is just now getting more commercial, so there are a few cool little restaurants and such that are well-frequented by members of the neighborhood (and, if you know Houston traffic at all, you know how appealing it is to find a good hangout near home). So, one of the moms went with her family to this pub last weekend, about 6pm. Unfortunately, they weren't informed, upon arriving, that the pub doesn't allow children (minors) after 7pm and they had to leave before their food was delivered. BUT, in case there's any confusion: Pub=BAR. This mom blew a fuse ("they also don't even have highchairs!!!"...um yeah, cause it's a bar maybe?) and came home to write a scathing message on the group bulletin board to let all other moms know about this "policy" (their use of quotes, not mine) and urged all to boycott this establishment. Again, it's a BAR. You took your KIDS there. To a BAR. Really?
So, now there's a movement within the group to look into seeking legal assistance in declaring a gross misjustice (or should that be maljustice?) and they're threatening to sue for (wait for it) "age discrimination". This just absolutely kills me. It's that whole, entitlement, "don't you know who I am?" shit that really turns me off about some of the moms in this group. And really, what's wrong with this world when a 5 year old can't walk into a bar and order a Jello shot?
Personally, I love that there are still establishments where kids aren't allowed. When Kevin and I get a chance to go out by ourselves, we like to sometimes go places where we don't run the risk of getting pelted with tortilla chips or have to hear a screaming child. And, when we do want to take the kid somewhere, we choose carefully where we go. We have a pretty good handle on what places are kid-friendly and what places aren't. It's simple: We're much more comfortable in an establishment that is kid-friendly. Sure, we eat at cheap Mexican places probably more than we'd normally like, but we know which ones are good for the kiddos. It's certainly much more relaxing than going to a less kid-friendly place and trying to shush a noisy toddler and clean up crushed goldfish crackers sheepishly...oh, and Mexican food places usually have cheap margaritas for Mommy and Daddy because parenthood makes you crave margaritas.
No comments:
Post a Comment