(in other words: 100 things that you'd like to flash before your eyes, illustrating your life, before you die)
100. First day of school jitters (grades kindergarten--Grade 12--and beyond, I suppose--apply)
99. Watermelon at Maw's house, served in aluminum pie pans with salt
98. The second my parents left my college apt, after having moved me away from home. Me, closing the door behind them, sighing in relief and anxiety but also feeling freedom
97. "Spending the night" (not what it sounds like--sleeping in the bed of a truck. Sleeping! Really, sleeping....not "sleeping together") with Paul Baker at the Inez Trailrider's dance, camp-out, on Feb. 22, 1992 (2-22-92, is why it sticks in my head)--the night that we met. Never having felt someone adore me that much before
96. Getting to listen to Michael Jackson's Thriller album on Fridays, in my third grade class, (Mrs. Brady) as reward for behaving for the whole week. Crushing on Brad Arnold
95. Dancing to old tunes at whatever-that-place-was-called, in Corpus, with Erika and Kevin. The place with the old DJ who would play whatever you asked? Everything on vinyl
94. Van Halen concert. That is all I have to say about that (lest I use up all 93 remaining memories on this)
93. Mayonnaise sandwiches at Ann Marie's house, circa 1979--made by her babysitter, Gammy (sp?)
92. Shooting hoops in the backyard at night, listening to an Asia cassette on my "jambox", circa 1985
91. Taking the turnoff, from Phoenix to Sedona for the first time in a rental car--marveling at how beautiful Sedona was, only to realize that we were still 10 miles away. Sedona was so much more lovely, once we arrived
90. Bringing home Banjo and Nugget from the adoption center at the Corpus PetsMart. Telling Kevin, "I'm not a cat-person, so these will be 'your' pets" and then one of the kittens promptly curling up and falling asleep in my lap. The rest is history
89. Giving my Dad his Father's Day, 2006 card...a card to, "A wonderful Grandfather" and my
sad drawing of a fetus inside. Hearing Brenda say, "Is that a golf course? Did you get us golf lessons?"
88. The "phantom car" speeding down Benbow Road. I think it was my closest "ghostly encounter"
87. James and Gerald bringing us pina coladas to the pool at Chateaux Santa Fe, in Corpus Christi
86. Meeting James Webster to play tennis in Corpus
85. Ann Marie's 21st birthday. We went to Chili's and she ordered a Strawberry Daiquiri. Me, an iced tea
84. Jackson County Fair Parade. Sitting on the back of my dad's truck. Toolbox burning the backs of my bare legs
83. The persistent dreams I had, the whole time I lived on campus in Corpus, of a plane crashing into Oso Bay
82. A sunburn so bad that I was physically ill for days, as a result of Spring Break in Rockport with Tara, circa 1988
81. The first time I heard (or maybe the first time I heard AND appreciated Pink Floyd)--Comfortably Numb. Driving down Ocean Drive at night. Still one of my favorite songs. Ever.
80. Being so "bershon" at Disney World with my parents, circa 1990
79. My first time to have sushi, at Oragami in Corpus, with Kevin and James
78. Picking up Kevin for our first date. He had coffee breath, from having just been hanging out at the Raven and the Sparrow coffee shop
77. Meeting up with old friends at a country bar in Victoria, while home on Thanksgiving break
76. Standing in the half-bath of our townhome, looking, gaping-mouthed at the pregnancy test, May 2006
75. Being at the Woodlands, seeing John Mayer in concert. My favorite song begins to play, Kevin is at the concession stand, so my friend, John Bond, puts his arm around me and sways to the song with me
99. Watermelon at Maw's house, served in aluminum pie pans with salt
98. The second my parents left my college apt, after having moved me away from home. Me, closing the door behind them, sighing in relief and anxiety but also feeling freedom
97. "Spending the night" (not what it sounds like--sleeping in the bed of a truck. Sleeping! Really, sleeping....not "sleeping together") with Paul Baker at the Inez Trailrider's dance, camp-out, on Feb. 22, 1992 (2-22-92, is why it sticks in my head)--the night that we met. Never having felt someone adore me that much before
96. Getting to listen to Michael Jackson's Thriller album on Fridays, in my third grade class, (Mrs. Brady) as reward for behaving for the whole week. Crushing on Brad Arnold
95. Dancing to old tunes at whatever-that-place-was-called, in Corpus, with Erika and Kevin. The place with the old DJ who would play whatever you asked? Everything on vinyl
94. Van Halen concert. That is all I have to say about that (lest I use up all 93 remaining memories on this)
93. Mayonnaise sandwiches at Ann Marie's house, circa 1979--made by her babysitter, Gammy (sp?)
92. Shooting hoops in the backyard at night, listening to an Asia cassette on my "jambox", circa 1985
91. Taking the turnoff, from Phoenix to Sedona for the first time in a rental car--marveling at how beautiful Sedona was, only to realize that we were still 10 miles away. Sedona was so much more lovely, once we arrived
90. Bringing home Banjo and Nugget from the adoption center at the Corpus PetsMart. Telling Kevin, "I'm not a cat-person, so these will be 'your' pets" and then one of the kittens promptly curling up and falling asleep in my lap. The rest is history
89. Giving my Dad his Father's Day, 2006 card...a card to, "A wonderful Grandfather" and my
sad drawing of a fetus inside. Hearing Brenda say, "Is that a golf course? Did you get us golf lessons?"
88. The "phantom car" speeding down Benbow Road. I think it was my closest "ghostly encounter"
87. James and Gerald bringing us pina coladas to the pool at Chateaux Santa Fe, in Corpus Christi
86. Meeting James Webster to play tennis in Corpus
85. Ann Marie's 21st birthday. We went to Chili's and she ordered a Strawberry Daiquiri. Me, an iced tea
84. Jackson County Fair Parade. Sitting on the back of my dad's truck. Toolbox burning the backs of my bare legs
83. The persistent dreams I had, the whole time I lived on campus in Corpus, of a plane crashing into Oso Bay
82. A sunburn so bad that I was physically ill for days, as a result of Spring Break in Rockport with Tara, circa 1988
81. The first time I heard (or maybe the first time I heard AND appreciated Pink Floyd)--Comfortably Numb. Driving down Ocean Drive at night. Still one of my favorite songs. Ever.
80. Being so "bershon" at Disney World with my parents, circa 1990
79. My first time to have sushi, at Oragami in Corpus, with Kevin and James
78. Picking up Kevin for our first date. He had coffee breath, from having just been hanging out at the Raven and the Sparrow coffee shop
77. Meeting up with old friends at a country bar in Victoria, while home on Thanksgiving break
76. Standing in the half-bath of our townhome, looking, gaping-mouthed at the pregnancy test, May 2006
75. Being at the Woodlands, seeing John Mayer in concert. My favorite song begins to play, Kevin is at the concession stand, so my friend, John Bond, puts his arm around me and sways to the song with me
1 comment:
Yes, it was Gammy! I don't even know what her real name was. Yum - mayo sandwiches. I think I just felt my artery tighten a little more.
I forgot about Chili's on my birthday. This list is funny and it makes me feel happy and nostalgic at the same time since I remember so many of the events.
Miss you!
Post a Comment