Thursday, January 28, 2010

On Motivation and Motherhood

We go to the gym almost every day during the week. I've never been this dedicated to working out in my life. The truth is, I feel better than ever before. Also, sort of sad but true...my motivation behind going to the gym every day: free childcare.

A few days ago, as I bounced into the gym, Jack on my hip and Anna running furiously toward the childcare area, Sarah, the sweet lady who works behind the desk, beamed at me and said, "I'm so amazed at how dedicated you are to coming to workout everyday! That's awesome". What I didn't tell sweet Sarah is that I have other motivators besides the feel-good feeling of working out. Getting us out of the house and to the gym has been a wondrous improvement to our afternoons. When the "witching hour" approaches (naps are done, daddy won't be home for another few hours and boredom/insanity ensues) we now pack up and head to the gym. The kids love it and I get to feel very indulgent for an hour or so. You have no idea how great it feels to dump off my kids, walk around carrying only a water bottle and my ear buds, then get on the treadmill, turn on Oprah on my personal tv and zone out. No one is there, yanking at my pants leg; no one is asking for applesauce or screaming at the top of their lungs. It's really and truly the most awesome thing ever. Also great is the Powerflex class that I take a couple of times a week. It's an hour-long weight training class, set to music--and it will tear you up (in a good way, I think!). I really like having someone telling me what to do and how long to do it, instead of me flailing about blindly in the gym by myself. Also great, is getting to listen to current pop music during the class. I now know (and can appreciate) Lady Gaga's music and really enjoy hearing music other than "D-d-d-d-d-ora! D-d-d-d-d-ora! Dora, Dora, Dora, the explorer (EXPLORER!)...".

As a result of my steadfast dedication to the gym (ergo, getting rid of my kids for a little while each day) I had to go and buy new pants--a size smaller--and my body is no longer screaming at me. My body is working better than it has before, I'm being much more kind and gentle to it and life seems, somehow brighter.

4 comments:

Jana said...

I think you go to the same gym we used to go to! It's a great place - glad you're having some fun (alone) time. And woo hoo on the smaller pants!

Anonymous said...

Jen, I'm so proud of you! I can only imagine that your little ones are enjoying their time at the gym as much as you are......Keep it up, kiddo!!! XXX Mom

Hattie said...

Way to go, Jen-O! Maybe you'll ignite my inspiration to do something GOOD for myself!!! Hope to see y'all Sunday! Love ya!

kaylynrenee said...

Oh I was very excited when I read the title of this post. Obviously I fall into the motherhood category and although I didn't know which direction you were going with the motivation part just by reading the title, my heart skipped a beat because there's not one single aspect of my life currently where I couldn't use some moti! Girl you did not disappoint! What a wonderful idea! I am excited about possibly doing something like this!! 3 things though: 1) how old was Jack when you began taking him to childcare? London will be 6 mos. next week. Is that too young? 2) no worries about you kiddos actually being watched and well-taken care of? 3) GERMS! I've become a little nuts about this one this cold and flu season. Did your kids get the flu shots? Mine haven't because we aren't around others all that much but under circumstances like this, I would reconsider...