Tour of this nursery here
(courtesy of my latest fav website: Apartment Therapy)
When I see nurseries like this one or when I organized and put away all of Anna baby clothes a few weeks ago, I think about how great it would be to have another baby. In theory, it's a grand idea: To get to decorate another nursery would be fun. The prospect of a baby of a different gender--which would mean a new set of clothes and accessories to collect. The fact that I'm no spring chicken and who knows how shriveled, battered, bruised and generally whooped up my eggs are by now. In theory, it's a great idea.
In practice? Yikes.
(and no, I'm not pregnant, so relax)
At library storytime on Monday, Anna's park buddy, Caleb, his mom and his new, month-old baby brother, Leif were there. I first met Caleb's mom when she was big and pregnant with Leif, at the park. She'd just quit her job as an art teacher and was going to stay home with Caleb and the new baby. She and Caleb would play at the park and I'd look at her and think, "How cute!" as she hoisted her pregnant self up and down the playground equipment, chasing after 20 month old Caleb.
Now that Leif is here, he stays in the jogging stroller at the park and snoozes quietly or sometimes his mom nurses him while Caleb runs around the playground. Still quite a cute, serene little picture of multiple child-bliss.
So on Monday, we were happy to see the three of them at the library. Storytime began, and like most of the toddlers there, (Anna very much included) Caleb decided that the stories were not of interest and he wanted to run around. His mom, who was tending to baby Leif in his infant carrier, called to Caleb, as he ran towards the door that leads out of the meeting room, where storytime is held, and headed directly to the main entrance/exit to the library. After he ignored her plea to return, she looked at me with a "help me?" look as she ran after Caleb. Some other moms and I took turns rocking Leif's infant carrier and replacing his pacifier, as he began to wail. This went on for about 15 min. You could see the conflict in Caleb's mom's eyes--do you run after your toddler or tend to your crying infant? After they left storytime early, due to Caleb's toddler-behavior, Leif's crying and the mom's sheer frustration, my other friend, whose only child is 18 months old, looked at me and stage-whispered, "That scares me positively shitless". I agreed with her completely.
In practice? Yikes.
(and no, I'm not pregnant, so relax)
At library storytime on Monday, Anna's park buddy, Caleb, his mom and his new, month-old baby brother, Leif were there. I first met Caleb's mom when she was big and pregnant with Leif, at the park. She'd just quit her job as an art teacher and was going to stay home with Caleb and the new baby. She and Caleb would play at the park and I'd look at her and think, "How cute!" as she hoisted her pregnant self up and down the playground equipment, chasing after 20 month old Caleb.
Now that Leif is here, he stays in the jogging stroller at the park and snoozes quietly or sometimes his mom nurses him while Caleb runs around the playground. Still quite a cute, serene little picture of multiple child-bliss.
So on Monday, we were happy to see the three of them at the library. Storytime began, and like most of the toddlers there, (Anna very much included) Caleb decided that the stories were not of interest and he wanted to run around. His mom, who was tending to baby Leif in his infant carrier, called to Caleb, as he ran towards the door that leads out of the meeting room, where storytime is held, and headed directly to the main entrance/exit to the library. After he ignored her plea to return, she looked at me with a "help me?" look as she ran after Caleb. Some other moms and I took turns rocking Leif's infant carrier and replacing his pacifier, as he began to wail. This went on for about 15 min. You could see the conflict in Caleb's mom's eyes--do you run after your toddler or tend to your crying infant? After they left storytime early, due to Caleb's toddler-behavior, Leif's crying and the mom's sheer frustration, my other friend, whose only child is 18 months old, looked at me and stage-whispered, "That scares me positively shitless". I agreed with her completely.

1 comment:
It's not too bad - having two - especially if they are a little more spaced out. You know, if I hadn't miscarried, my kids would have been about 2.5 years apart, but as things worked out having them three years apart is perfect. When you have a three year old, they are much more independent, which allows for you to handle your newborn so much better. Financially it will be easier for us as well. We won't have them at St. Joe together for very long. They won't both be in college at the exact same time. They both won't want cars at the same time, ok so they'll want cars, but won't get them at the same time.
Don't have five, whatever you do! (read my blog post from today)
Post a Comment