Friday, June 06, 2008

Pipe cleaning and other romantic evenings at home

It's funny. On a typical weekday, Kevin leaves home either before I'm out of bed, or before I've consumed my entire cup of coffee so our morning exchanges are more of the bleary-eyed, "Bye. Love you. Have a good day. Did you get your lunch?" variety. When he gets home in the evening, Anna typically commands his full attention and they spend the next couple of hours together playing, bathing and going to bed. Once she's in bed, I'm following closely behind. Or, worst case: like last night. As soon as he walked in the door, I greeted him with a kiss and, "I think something is wrong with the kitchen sink". To which he was further welcomed home by a sink full of disposal remnants and brackish, clogged-drain water. Thusly, he spent the remainder of his evening at home plunging and then finally at Lowe's to purchase a "snake" to remedy the problem. Isn't it romantic?

As a result of this pattern, by the time Kevin gets to work, I've had enough coffee to begin thinking of things that I need to ask or tell him. When he logs on at work, there's usually at least a couple of emails awaiting him. Things like:

Did you call the x about x?
Why did we get a bill for $x from x?
Are you going to x's house next week?


I think that we need a date night, stat.

No comments: