Anna has had a great first week of school so far. She's made a friend or two and loves everything about her new school. I couldn't be more thrilled. We've also had our first kindergarten mishap that makes me giggle when I think about it.
When I went to pick her up the first day of school, it took 45 minutes for her to come out to where I was waiting. I was a smidgen concerned, but figured that it was just first-day-of-school confusion. When she finally did come out, the aide who escorted her out said, "we called her and called her, but she never came forward!". So, when we got home, I talked with her about the importance of listening closely for her name to be called at pickup time. This is what she said:
God bless her. So, we had a lengthy discussion about the myriad of ways that people will mispronounce her last name over the years (to which her father contributed all of the mispronunciations that he's endured throughout his educational and professional career). We decided that it's a good idea to respond to "Anna ANYTHING" in the off-chance that they are, indeed, speaking to her. It worked yesterday (apparently) because she came outside fairly quickly. I asked if they said her name wrong and she smiled widely and said, "Yup. But I just knew they were talking about me this time!".

2 comments:
Ha! We had to tell Syd something similar when she was in kindergarten. I wanted to attend a faculty meeting to make them practice saying our last name it was so bad. But, four years later, they finally get it right, so there's hope for Anna and her hard-to-pronounce last name!
That is a classic...save that one for her Senior High School graduation day! :-)
Post a Comment