Wednesday, October 03, 2012

So much

There's just so, so much going on. Life is in fast forward x300. It's finally (and already!) October. The weather is bearable and, dare I say, even crisp in the mornings. Kevin turned 40 yesterday with very little fanfare. He left on a work trip that morning and we've been bogged down with obligations every weekend for a month, so there's not even been an opportunity to celebrate.

The kids are good. Anna has settled right into Kindergarten. Kevin typically takes her to school in the mornings, so, with him out of town this week, Jack and I have been taking her. I don't think I'll ever get used to the sight of her walking away, down the big, long fluorescent-lit hallway of her giant elementary school, over-sized backpack bouncing against her long, skinny legs, as she turns back one last time to wave goodbye to me then rounds the corner to her classroom--a classroom that I can't even seem to find when I've been there. She's got homework to work on most every night, which she actually enjoys. She's reading. She's writing. She's adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing. God, she's not a baby anymore.


Jack continues to push us. I've said it before and I'll say it at least 6 more times today, but 3.5 years is my least favorite age. As adorable and as sweet as he CAN be, he can be equally belligerent and difficult. I love him so much, but he wears me out right now. Lately, he's picked up the word "bastard". I can honestly say that he didn't learn that one at home because, while I have so, so many choice phrases that slip out of my mouth regularly, "bastard" just isn't one of them. I'm trying to ignore it because he knows how to push my buttons and I foresee "bastard" being a major source of contention.

So, this is life now. It's bizarre, beautiful and a whirlwind--but it's mine.




No comments: