Our cat, Wynonna Judd, went to the "Rainbow Bridge" yesterday at the ripe old age of (at least) 20 years old. God bless her, she was the most difficult cat on the earth. We adopted her late in life--saving her from death row at an animal clinic in our old neighborhood. We adopted Nonna and her mother together. Her mother looked just like Nonna but was very petite. We named her Naomi, while the more chunky version of her, we named Wynonna. They'd undoubtedly come from an abusive home and each had more issues than I've ever seen in cats. Naomi didn't get along with our other cats at all, so we re-homed her. Wynonna stuck around, although she never learned to get along with our cats either. She was incredibly high-maintenance in the "bathroom department" (and, I'll just leave it at that) but was the sweetest girl you'd ever meet. She relished in any attention bestowed upon her--even in her later years, if that attention came from a 2 year old who wasn't as gentle as he or she should be.
When we adopted her, we were told that she was at least 12 years old. She lived with us for more than 8 years. Our last vet said that she felt like 20 was a very conservative guess as to her age, so we're thinking that she was officially the oldest cat to ever walk the earth. I tried to make her last month with us just the way she wanted. All she wanted was to be outside, so we obliged her that--even in the unbearable August heat, which didn't seem to phase her. And the cat treats were free-flowing for her.
It wasn't always an easy journey with you, but I'll miss you just the same, Nonna.
1 comment:
I'm so sorry...it's always hard to lose a pet, especially when they've been a part of your family for so long.
Post a Comment