- Care for baby
- Care for toddler
- Laundry
- Care for baby
- Clean litterboxes
- Care for toddler
- Care for baby
- Laundry
- Care for toddler
- Figure out something for dinner
- Feed cats
- Laundry
- Care for baby (once Kevin gets home and takes over Anna's care)
- Care for baby
- Care for baby
- Shower
- Bedtime
- Wake up and do it all over again.
Also, we have piles of gift certificates and gift cards for restaurants, (un-kid-friendly ones) stores, etc. that we just can't manage to use. I keep checking the expiration dates on them to make sure that we don't let them expire. I was finding myself envious of my Facebook friends' status messages that went something like this, "Can't wait for date night with the hubster--yum, sushi!" and "Can't wait to see such-and-such movie tonight on my date with my hubby!". Sushi? A movie? How's that even possible? It made me want to cry. Then, like a lightening bolt (or, probably more accurately, a sharp blow to the head) it hit me: We could actually hire a babysitter to watch the kids so that we could have a night out.
We're very fortunate in that we've never really had to pay for babysitting. True, our beloved housekeeper has kept both kids as babies for me, for a few hours every other week just so that I could run to the grocery store quickly or fit in a dentist appointment, but this didn't feel decadent, necessarily--more like a helpful hand in my chore-doing. But, by and large, family and close friends have always been the ones to offer up their baby sitting services. After having Jack though, everyone has skirted away, scared of the prospect of caring for both of our kids at the same time (believe me, it is scary). So, I remembered a mom in the mom's group posting a recommendation for her aunt, who does babysitting. I emailed her, she came over to meet everyone and BAM!--we suddenly have a babysitter on retainer AND plans for a date night on Saturday night! Kevin and I haven't had a meal alone, at a non-kid-friendly restaurant in months and months and months--like I think I was a month or two pregnant with Jack, the last time we had a "date night" (if you do the math, that was 1 year ago). The best thing is that, now that we have a regular sitter, we don't have to automatically decline invites to adult parties anymore. We might (just might!) actually be able to get out a little, have adult conversations (I'm going to need some practice with that) and relax a little.
Another thing that I'm excited about:
So, as you can tell, I've changed my tune a little since last week. Things are looking up around here, yes indeedy do.
3 comments:
Oooh, have fun on your date. I am beyond jealous. You think it's hard to pawn off two kids on family? Try three. (Sorry, having my own little pity party over here.) :)
Oh Yo Gabba Gabba songs, or any song on Noggin really, is on my mind every time I wake up at night to pee (which is becoming more and more frequent at 8 months prego!) and when I get up in the morning. Actually, the one by The Roots on Yo Gabba Gabba is stuck in my head at the moment, "Lovely Family" or something like that. That one isn't annoying and I enjoy that one...
Have fun on your date night! Don't be like me and spend the majority of it missing the kid(s)!
Fortunately for me, Peyton's attention span is not long enough to watch a whole television show. We watch sprout in the evenings right before bed.
So...no Yo Gabba Gabba songs for me! YAY!
(Except the kids stops in his tracks and dances when the Free Credit Report . com song comes on.)
Post a Comment