Thursday, June 11, 2009

In which I lose 10 lbs in one morning!

Ah....the weight loss update that you've all been waiting for. Things are going well. The Shred is but a distant memory still. I know that I need to be exercising but, honestly (cue sad, tragic storyline music) I just don't have time.

Yes, I know.
It's twenty minutes.

But still. You see, I spend all of my waking hours with at least one child usually touching my body somehow, somewhere. Some lucky days (like today, which is why I'm afforded the luxury of writing something on this blog instead of just posting pictures) the baby takes a decent nap. Most days lately though, it's a cycle of feed--rock to sleep--put in crib--wake after 10 min--feed--rock to sleep--put in crib--wake after 10 min...do you see the pattern? It's frustrating. But, I don't complain too loudly because he sleeps well at night. I can handle anything during the day, as long as I'm logging more than 6 hours of sleep a night.

So, back to me.

As you might be able to imagine, as soon as I peel the infant off of my person, the very last thing that I want to do is listen to Jillian Michaels talk about how "these abs don't come for free, people" and cause my body undue pain. So, I tend to spend those precious few alone minutes doing other fun things, like laundry, dishes and the like. It's a charmed life that I lead.

I'm still eating healthy and really do feel like a million bucks. I had been pretty frustrated though, because I wasn't pleased with the number that kept popping up on my scale. Yes, I know, I know...you shouldn't even weigh yourself...but we have a scale, and I'm a curious person. The number that kept appearing on our scale was (while not bad and totally within a normal weight for someone of my height) a number that I sort of see as a threshold. I way surpassed this number when I was pregnant and that was a little disheartening, but I had a really rad excuse. Following the healthful diet that I've been doing though, I totally expected the scale to reflect a number much below that one number that haunts me. Lately, I'd been hovering one pound below it (according to our scale) and it was eating me alive.

Today, I was in our bathroom and happened to look at the scale sitting there on the floor. Now, most times that I weigh myself, it's in the bleary-eyed, bright-light of morning, so my eyes--they're not so good--and I never think to look at the scale before I get on it. So, today, I looked at it and noticed that the arm-thingy wasn't resting at 0, like it should. It was resting at 10! Hmmm. I noticed a little dial on the front of the scale, which is used to calibrate it. I spun the dial so that the arm was on 0 and, guess what. I weigh 10 whole pounds less than I thought I did! Holy Moses! Do you know what this means? Do ya? Do ya? It means that now I'm only about 4 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight (as opposed to 14 lbs, as previously thought). Ha! Success. You can suck it, Jillian Michaels.

In celebration of my new-found, weight-loss, I'd like to share a few things with you that I've discovered and think are awesome:

Laughing Cow Cheese: Not a new discovery for me, but I've re-discovered it. Fabulous spread on Triscuits or, my favorite thing to do with it: Spread on a chicken breast (pounded out very flat and thin) and roll up like a jellyroll. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 min or so (depending on the size of the breasts {The chicken breasts, smart ass, not your breasts--but if you have D cups or over, exercise caution when getting the chicken out of the oven}). The best thing is that Laughing Cow only has 35 calories for one whole wedge.

Tropicana 50 orange juice. I like to put a splash of it in a glass and then fill the rest of the glass with sparkling water. It's a good before-bedtime snack for me, if I still feel a little hungry at bedtime. We also invented what we've coined the "Redneck Margarita" or "Margarita Spritzer" which is the same as above but with the addition of tequila. It's surprisingly refreshing and good for a hot Summer day.

Tilapia: I thought that I didn't care for Tilapia--I thought of it as a "trash fish". Around Lent, HEB had the bags of frozen Tilapia fillets on super-sale, so I grabbed a bag, thinking that maybe one day I could use it for something. The other night, armed with nothing else for dinner, I baked a couple of Tilapia fillets with just some lemon juice, salt and pepper. It was right tasty. Very simple; surprisingly hearty and reasonably good for us.

I have more recipes to share soon...

1 comment:

Jana said...

I watched part of the Shred program online before buying it and decided against it because that chick is annoying as hell. I can't imagine listening to the same bitchy, bossy comments every day (since amazingly, the instructors say the exact same things every time you watch it - imagine that).

Hurray for the scale recalibration. Too bad my Wii scale won't do that. :(