Friday, April 25, 2008

Is it 1952 or is it just me?

The Great Paper Towel Rationing of 2008 is going smashingly (as I know everyone has been waiting, with baited breath, to get an update). In the past 3 days, we've used 2 paper towels (actually, only 1 whole paper towel--we use Select-A-Size). That's huge people! Normally, I'd be breaking open a new roll at this point in the week. I'm so beyond excited about this!

I'm also staying on top of the laundry as a result of this. Since I'm using a few cloths everyday for basic cleanups, I'm throwing in a load of bath towels or underwear or whatever so that we don't run out of cleaning cloths. Our laundry baskets are empty. It's so great. And, since the loads are small-ish and manageable, I'm not dreading folding them and am so on top of it all. Am Super Homemaker! Yay!

In related news, this week we've only eaten a total of 2 chicken breasts--and we've had 4 tasty dinners. On Monday, I made a really yummy pasta with chicken and marinara sauce (using some leftover veggies that were in the fridge). The chicken breasts that we get come two to a pack and are each huge. I sliced up one of the chicken breasts for the pasta sauce. We ate that for dinner both Monday, Tuesday and then I polished the rest of it off Wednesday night for dinner (Kevin had a business dinner that night). Last night, I used the other breast for chicken soft tacos. We fed three adults (Hi Julie!) and Anna had some too.

From an environmental stand-point, this is exciting for me. I figure that it only took 2 chickens to feed us for most of the week. From a cost-standpoint, well, we ate all week for probably less than $15--total...including veggies for salad, pasta, tortillas, cheese, etc.

Tonight, we'll be having salmon. I also need to make some sort of potatoes, since I bought a 10 lb bag of red potatoes at Costco last week. I saw this recipe in Southern Living and am thinking of giving it a whirl.

You complain when I don't update, but look what happens when I finally do. Boring.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

would 2 breasts actually mean 1 chicken? bawk bawk....

Cheeseballs said...

uh....I spilled a beer on your kitchen floor friday night, yet I didn't get a shout out for the paper towel you used to clean it up. I see how it is....