74. My first day of school at a new school--8th grade. Staring at my black Converse High Tops in the principal's office, as they got my class schedule ready. Out of body experience--I was so scared
73. Showing Paw Paw my pictures from Naples, Italy and he digging out his pictures of Naples, from WWII, taken in the same locations. He was so excited to discuss our trip
72. Zip-lining through the Costa Rican rainforest...alternating curse words and prayer the whole way
71. Dancing and commandeering the iPod at my 31st birthday/Lights in the Heights party. Grease Soundtrack. Todd and April. Good friends
70. Getting my first real, bone-a-fide pet sitting client. Building a strong reputation from there on and knowing that I was doing the best job that I could possibly do
69. That first morning at the hospital, when they brought Anna in to us. I was so excited (and strangely surprised) at how beautiful she was
68. Syntex Christmas Party, about 1999 or so. Joe giving a speech about how far he's come and how well the company is doing. Feeling so proud of Kevin, Joe...the company, then, afterward, dancing to "Brick House" with reindeer antlers on my head
67. Jeff Prukop reflecting upon me, years after High School, (via email): I remember an intelligent person who took care of me emotionally when I was hurt and fallen. She seemed to make sure everyone around her was doing well and was never concerned with how far down the food chain of friends that I was on. She lifted me up, led me believe that there is a tomorrow and that there is new hope, success and a bright future around the corner. Well, I turned that corner....
66. A beach--don't know which one--with Troy. Late one night/early one morning. Contemplating the meaning of life. Our moms on the phone with one another, not knowing where the hell we were, planning our funerals
65. Watching the July 4th fireworks from our bedroom window (while simultaneously watching them on the tv, in front of said window)--Houston Heights, a few years in a row
64. Jamie Lewis' hamster spinning in his wheel all night, while spending the night with her
63. Seeing Kevin's face and hearing him go, "Awwww" when the nurse confirmed that Anna was indeed a girl, during our 20-week ultrasound. No sign of disappointment whatsoever in him
62. Sunsets in Sedona, Mexico, Italy, Key West
61. Seeing Ben eat Calamari in DC, on our honeymoon (me and Kevin's honeymoon, just so you'll know. Ben is my cousin. Ew.)
60. That cotton-y soft puppy fur right behind Moose's ears. His sweet puppy breath and not-so-sweet razor teeth
59. Dinner with James and Jen in Chicago. More food than we knew what to do with. Good conversation, sitting outside in the cool, midwest August air. Me, just beginning to feel baby Anna moving inside of me. She seemed stimulated by the conversation. She must've known that these would be people she'd know on the outside
58. Hearing "Northern Sky" for the first time
57. One exceptionally cold Christmas Eve in New Braunfels. The heat wasn't working at Kevin's parent's house. We were all huddled around the blazing fireplace with blankets. Just as it should be
56. Finding Baby Boo, peeking at me from atop our old neighbor's garden wall. There was never a question of if I was going to keep him. He's still, to this day, my baby
55. Arriving at the resort in Mexico for Erika's wedding. Stepping out into the warm, soft sand, feeling the sun beat down upon my tired, sleep-deprived, new-mom body and seeing Erika waving at us from the surf. Feeling instantly like all was right with the world
54. Stepping foot into our current home, with our real estate agent, the first time we saw it. It was so familiar to me--so similar to so many houses that I knew growing up. Knowing that it was "the one". Knowing that it was where I wanted to raise our baby
53. Halloween, 1997. Dressed up in costume at Enterprise. Jason Washa showing up dressed like a 1970's high school basketball player (complete with Afro wig, two-sizes-too small old Flour Bluff basketball uniform and gigantic white knee socks). Laughing so hard that I almost peed myself at work, as he posed for the camera--down on one knee, high school yearbook style
52. Free weekends spent at the pool at my first "real" apartment in Corpus. Weekends were so precious then because I was working so flippin' much
51. Hearing Anna's soulful belly laugh (anytime and every time that I hear it)
50. The smell of piƱon throughout the drive from Phoenix to Sedona then burning my fancy, "pine" incense that I purchased in Sedona, at home, trying to re-create the feeling
No comments:
Post a Comment