

Based upon your viewing of the two pictures above, I'm sure that you have two questions: first, what the hell is wrong with your hair, Jenny? Extreme bed-head, it appears. Hey, Kevin? Next time you grab the camera to snap a few impromptu pictures of me, please tell me to run a brush through my hair or something. Second question, what is that delicious concoction that you and Jack are clearly enjoying? Actually, it's my "famous-among-several" morning smoothie. Now, I know that you're probably judging me by the giant box of Dora the Explorer cereal on the table behind us in the picture and are assuming that my delicious smoothie must contain ice cream, canned fruit in syrup and 1 cup of white sugar (along with some Red 40 & Blue 2 just for kicks). Wrong. I'm going to give you my recipe and I promise you that both of my children love this smoothie. In fact, the reason why the Dora cereal was even out on the table in the first place was because Jack was being picky this morning and I was desperately trying to figure out what he might want to eat. He said "no" to the Dora cereal and "absolutely, yes" to my smoothie. Without further ado, here's the recipe that will change your life.
Spinach (yes, spinach) Smoothies
1 heaping handful of fresh baby spinach (seriously--I shit you not)
1 banana
A large handful of strawberries, blueberries, melon--whatever fruit you have on hand that you feel like using
1/4 cup or so of frozen peaches (this takes the place of ice cubes)
1 few good glugs of vanilla flavored Almond Milk
1/2 cup of plain non-fat yogurt
a hearty sprinkling of ground flaxseeds
Blend until smooth in a blender. I usually have to add a little more Almond Milk along the way to help the blender get everything blended well.
One thing you should know--the spinach makes the smoothies a really unappetizing color...typically, if not bright green, sort of a sewage brownish-green color (especially if you use strawberries or blueberries. Green + Red/Blue=Ewww). If you've got skeptical children, this will indeed turn them way off. I promise though, you can not taste the spinach. I think it's delicious. Jack and my ridiculous hair tend to agree as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment