Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Kid Tested, Mother Approved

I've spoken of our new-found love for quinoa here before, but I haven't actually shared a recipe yet. Last night, I made some and sort of free-handed my own recipe. It was delicious and, in fact, I'm having trouble talking myself out of having the leftovers for breakfast this morning. Here's what I did:


1/2 of an onion, diced
4-5 cloves of garlic, finely diced
1 Tbl olive oil
1 large zucchini, diced
1 cup rinsed quinoa
2 cup vegetable (or chicken) broth
salt, pepper and cumin to taste

Saute the onion and garlic until tender. Add zucchini and quinoa. Saute for a few minutes more. Add broth and seasoning. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

I served this along side some lime-marinated chicken thighs and black beans. (I like a squeeze on lemon on my quinoa, just prior to serving.) It was lick-your-plate-clean, yummy. See for yourself:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hilarious! (jack licking his plate, not the recipe...) quinoa is high in iron too (i saw that when i was trying to find iron rich foods to eat before giving blood)