Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Great Moments in Creature* Care

*I say "creature" here because this epic failure in care-giving involves not just my child, but my pets as well.

We're out of wet cat food--completely out. Now, don't you worry about my cats because they have piles of dry food in their bowls, but they've grown accustomed to having wet food at night. Due to the weather today, I just didn't make it out to the store to buy wet food. So, 5 pm rolls around (which is kitty dinner time) and I'm trying to decide what to give them in lieu of wet food. So, I grab the step ladder to peek on top of the fridge (where I typically keep the wet food) to see if, by some twist of fate, a wayward can was lurking up there. No wet food was to be found, so I was going to improvise and use cat treats instead--essentially, giving my pets junk food for dinner. Thank goodness I'd never feed my children junk food for dinner. (Insert sarcasm here)

So, while I'm up on the step ladder, grabbing the bags of various and sundry cat treats from the top of the fridge, I spot a brown paper bag up there, covered in dust, with Anna's name on it. I look inside and it's the entire contents of Anna's Valentine treat bag from school...from 10 months ago. It looked completely untouched. Poor child.

The top of the fridge is about the only place in the kitchen where I can stash things that I don't want Anna to have (out of sight, out of mind). The only thing I can figure is that I shoved the bag up on top of the fridge, as soon as she got home from her Valentine party. Then, I promptly went into labor with Jack and, the rest is history.

Now, I'm pretty excited because it turns out, there's some good loot in this bag. The fact that it's 10 month old Valentine candy doesn't bother me one bit. Stale candy hearts and a half-melted Blowpop--score!

No comments: