I've been in a fashion predicament lately. You see, my day to day uniform is (on a bad day) my least-favorite pair of my yoga pants, a shelf bra that doesn't support the bewbies like it should, a stained t-shirt that probably shows a little too much of my post-baby muffin top and my beloved flip flops. On a good day, you might see me in either my favorite pair of yoga pants or a pair of casual jeans that I purchased after I had Anna. I actually still really like these jeans and, I think they're still sort of in style, but not appropriate for "going out"; (if you see me in them and I look ridiculous, please let me know) my terribly uncomfortable "real" bra that does support the bewbies and helps them to stick out a little farther than my muffin top, one of my Target clearance rack t-shirts that hasn't been spit up upon yet that day, a quick swipe of lip gloss and...my beloved flip flops.
Last week, I got a rare opportunity to meet a friend for a drink at our new, local wine bar. As I stood in my closet that afternoon, trying to figure out what one wears when not just going to Costco and then to school to pick up a toddler, I was stumped. The only cute clothes that I have are either too Summery for this time of year; too small and probably out of style, since they're either from pre-first-baby (circa 2006) or they're post-first-baby (circa 2007), which is still out of style. I ended up throwing on my only pair of jeans that look sort of stylish (I don't love them...they're still a little too frumpy for me to feel really cute in) and a 3/4 length t-shirt with a tank (hello, muffin top support!) underneath and, not my beloved flip flops, but a slightly-nicer pair of flip flops. Sure, I put on makeup and wore earrings that I normally can't wear around a grabby-hands baby but I felt far from cute and fashionable--I felt like a mom who doesn't get out much. Hmmm. Interesting.
I've been looking around online, checking out the latest Fall trends. I'm just not loving anything. Of course, it doesn't help that a lot of the Fall fashions aren't weather-appropriate for our weather here. Also, a lot of the fashion trends for this year are direct throwbacks to late-80's, early 90's fashion. You guys, I've been there and I've done that. I can not tight roll my jeans ever again. I just can't.
So, I was bemoaning my lack of fashion to my hairstylist, Cindy this week. Let me paint this picture for you: Cindy is super-model gorgeous. She's probably 6 feet tall and, on a bad, bloated, "Why'd I eat all of the Halloween candy already" day, she's about a size 2. She has beautiful red, thick, wavy hair and peaches and cream skin. Add to all that the fact that she's super awesome at doing my hair, she's always dressed to the 9's, she's a mom AND she's crazy-sweet (I want to BE Cindy, can you tell?). So, when I told Cindy how I feel so out of the loop on fashion and how I really need a new pair of jeans that aren't "mom jeans," but without forking over the cost of one month of Anna's school tuition (by the way, those jeans are way more than Anna's school tuition) to buy a pair, she said, "Girl. Go to Buffalo Exchange. That's where I get most of my clothes".
Lightbulb! Buffalo Exchange, for those of you who don't know, is a resale shop. There just so happens to be one very near the salon too. So, after I finished with Cindy, and finding myself with an hour of kid-free-time to spare, I headed over to Buffalo Exchange. They had lots of jeans to choose from, most being brands that I normally wouldn't pay retail price for. I tried on several and found a great pair. I think that I really, really like them and the best part is, when they don't fit anymore (am banking on the cooler weather inspiring me to get off my arse and get to exercising again) I just sell them back to Buffalo Exchange. Genius!
2 comments:
Bewbies! HA! I love it!
How do you have time to blog? Will I ever be able to give mine the attention it needs again? :0(
Oh Jenny..... you don't realize how your blog is a dose of medicine for my old mind and spirit! Loved the prior pics of 'sad' Anna and 'happy' Jack! Can't wait to see y'all in a couple of weeks. xoxoxo Hattie
Post a Comment