Friday, August 21, 2009

Ya know, I'm "Just Not That Into" this movie

It took me a lot longer than the average bear to see it, but I finally sat down to watch "He's Just Not That Into You" the other night. As is common with most movies these days, I didn't have high expectations for it. As a result it lived up to my expectations.

I have several observations that I'd like to put on the table:

First of all, it took me two nights to get through the damned movie because Ginnifer Goodwin's character irked me to a half-inch of my life. That character epitomised the whole, "desperate female" role, that so many single women get pigeon-holed into. After watching her dive toward her phone, in the hopes that the current object of her affections was finally calling her, for the umpteenth time, I had to turn the DVD off and pick up a book instead. Maybe I've been married too long, but the image of a desperate female, who's whole self-worth is tied up in if a man calls her back in a timely manner just makes me ill. I wanted to tell her to "go (possible expletive was deleted here) do something with your sorry-ass self".

Then, and I know I'm going out on a limb here by saying this...but, here it is: I feel, that Scarlett Johansson is...well, she's just not that pretty. Nor is she a good actress--at least, not in this movie. The whole, chest out ("hey, look! I'm a 'Buxom Blonde'") pouty-lipped thing isn't cute. It's not sexy. AND, it doesn't make you convey emotion or make you more likeable as a character in a movie. She drove me bat-shit crazy throughout the movie.

Then there's Drew Barrymore. I wanna say that this whole movie was produced or something by Drew. I tend to like her. She seems like a cool person. I just happen to believe that this movie was not a good reflection on her as a producer (nor as an actress...."He 'Myspaced me'." What does that even mean? If you're going to try and use current terminology in a movie, get it right. There's no such thing as "Myspacing" anyone. You can ask someone to be your "Myspace friend"...maybe that's what she was thinking. How hard is it to do a little research? I mean, you're getting paid, oh...10 million dollars or whatnot. I think you'd be able to jump on the computer for a sec and do some research, no?)

And, of course Bradly Cooper's character was cheating on his uptight wife. That's what she gets for being so uptight and responsible. Responsible women are just not sexy--they're such a drag. Typical, Hollywood thinking.

Oh and...of course, Jennifer Aniston's character changed the mind of her live-in boyfriend and he eventually married her. Because all people who don't really want to be married can be swayed by breaking up with them. Just break up with the person who doesn't want to marry you and they'll eventually come crawling back with a ring in hand. Yeah, that totally won't back-fire in your face.

Ugh. Ugh and ugh. Hated it.

I give it two thumbs down.

I don't know. This movie just seemed to exemplify everything that I feel is wrong with people these days. I feel like I watched it, at first out of hopeful optimism, but finished it out of obligation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

watched this stupid movie the other night, and agree with you COMPLETELY....what an insult to strong,independent,women everywhere....XXX