Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Senseless Parenting

I've had a nasty cold that I can't seem to shake. I'm about 22% sure that it isn't the Swine Flu, so don't worry about me...I'm sure I'll be fine.

The issue with this cold is that I've lost my sense of smell (and my sense of taste--which is a really good diet strategy, amazingly enough) and my hearing. My whole head is full of snot, so all of my head-based senses are compromised--even my eye sight because it feels like my eyeballs are squashed, due to the pressure in my head.

As a result of this cold, I've learned just how much, as a mother, I rely on my sense of smell and hearing, in parenting my children and taking care of our house. My poor children have had to sit around in poopy pants more times than I care to admit this week because I just can't smell them. I'm also certain that our cats have been taking advantage of this time and are going on a pee-spree, in the house. Without my hearing completely intact, I can't hear the kids when they're on the other side of the house from me. It's all really annoying and I'm ready to be back to normal (although not really ready to see what my home smells like, once my sense of smell comes back).

*Totally unrelated: Anna said something VERY funny yesterday. It could be construed as slightly off-color so I don't want to post it on the blog for everyone and their dog to read. If you want to know what she said, leave a comment or email me and I'll fill you in. It is probably the funniest thing she's ever said though, so I'd like to share it with you--just not the whole world.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i can't stop laughing about this one...

Vicki Jamison said...

Okay...give it up!

Kate said...

Now I have to know what Miss Anna said!