Next weekend, Kevin and I are farming out the kid so that we can begin work on her new "Big Girl Room". I have semi-grand plans for it but mostly just hope to make it a fun and exciting place to hang out, play, read until she's officially
EVICTED! early next Spring from her current room. One of the things that I'm most excited about...that I looked at 100 times before she was born, in the hopes of putting one in her nursery, is this bookcase from
Ikea:

I've always loved the
cubbies and think that, even if it's full of random toys, books and assorted over toddler residue, it will look organized. I also like the idea of having just one giant place to stick everything.
While at
Ikea this weekend, I also picked up these super-cheap magazine holders.

They're made out of cardboard but feel pretty sturdy. I'm planning to use them to store assorted floppy books and magazines in the above bookshelf. I'm tossing around the idea of decorating them somehow and this is where I need your help: Calling all crafty readers (and by crafty, I mean people who are creative and artsy--not necessarily "crafty" in the sense of being sneaky and vindictive because I don't know that I'd completely trust you to give me good ideas and not try to
sabotage my idea). What would be the best way to decorate these magazine holders that would 1. be
resilient to man-handling by a toddler and 2. look cute? Here's what I've been thinking:
Craft paint?
Wrapping paper?
Decoupage?
Something to consider: The bookcase doesn't have a back on it, so you'll be able to see the wall behind it. The wall will be painted a bright-
ish aqua color, so I think that the magazine holders will look really cute and will stand out nicely if decorated in contrasting colors to the wall color.
Give me your thoughts, please.
2 comments:
Jenny....How Fun is THIS!!!
I have some ideas...so here goes:
.I used to make these boxes with soap boxes[large Tide] and covered them with contact paper. [I think I threw the last one away this summer]
.You might spray paint them, but I would test them first with the paint to see if they will hold up.
.You could print your own labels on the computer to indicate what is suppose to be in the box.
.What about cute buttons on the front..go to the fabric store to see what they have.
.Wooden painted knobs would be cute also.
.Pin striping would be fun too.
So, these are some of my ideas..I will probably wake up at 3:00AM thinking of some other things.
Have fun,
Love ya,
Vicki
I was thinking maybe scrapbooking stickers. Those things are really tough, and come in ALL things imaginable!!!!! Remember, Hattie has a Cricut.... a die-cut machine for letters, etc., and I've also done a lot of piracy on the web, so I can't 'sell' anything, but I'd be glad to help you out! Mary Engelbreit has cute things, but art.com, also has loads of posters that I (ahem), can 'use'!!!!
p.s. loved the yearbook pics... I'll have to check that out, and see what I would have looked like in the 80s! That was hilarious... thanks for making my day, as usual! xoxoxo Hattie
Post a Comment