Rest in peace, my sweet Banjo. You were the first cat that I ever loved. In fact, you turned me into a bonafide "cat lady." If we're being honest here, when Kevin and I saw you and your littermate, Nugget, at PetsMart that day more than 15 years ago, I didn't want you. I didn't like cats. I was a dog person, through and through. Kevin convinced me that we should get you and your brother and we took you home. I told Kevin the whole way, "these are your cats. I don't even like cats." All of that changed the second that we let you loose in our spare bathroom and you jumped into my lap. That's the day I became a "cat lady."
You were not the perfect cat. You did many things that were highly annoying...especially in your later years. You became impossible to sleep with because, even though you were never the food hound that the other cats were, you insisted upon waking us up in the early morning by marching sternly across our abdomens, making sure to stomp purposefully on our tender internal organs (and bladders). You also used your paws like hands and could open cabinets and our baby gate. You seldom meowed but instead, "gaked" which is the only word that we could come up with to explain the sound you made.
15 years with you, Banjo. I will miss you for at least 15 more. Thank you for being such a loyal friend.

3 comments:
good bye sweet banjo... i love you and trust that you will be banging gates in heaven - just because you can :)
Awww...what a sweet kitty you had. I'm a cat person, too, and I know how hard it is to lose a true friend like a family cat. (hugs)
What a great tribute....
Post a Comment