Thursday, January 20, 2011

Crockpot Chicken Tacos

I have a dirty secret: My Crockpot saves my tail more often than not. There's nothing so awesome as being able to cook dinner all day long, without having to stay at home, to man the stove or oven. It's an invaluable luxury for a busy mom. One of my favorite recipes for the Crockpot is chicken soft tacos.

1 packet of taco seasoning mix (I like the reduced sodium version)

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (thawed or frozen)

a drizzle of olive oil

1 container of fresh pico de gallo (my family likes mild, but knock yourself out and go spicy) For the sake of convenience and using what you might already have in your pantry, you can use a can of Rotel in place of the pico, but I find that makes it too spicy and less flavorful. The pico de gallo adds a fresh flavor that the Rotel lacks.


Sprinkle the whole packet of taco seasoning into the bottom of the empty Crockpot. Place the chicken breasts (if using frozen, just increase cooking time accordingly) on top of the seasoning mix. Drizzle with olive oil and pour container of pico de gallo on top. Cook on low for about 6 hours or so. When done, shred chicken with a fork and stir. Continue heating for a few more minutes. My family likes this chicken wrapped in a tortilla with all the fixin's. I like it on top of a salad with shredded cheese on top. It also makes for delicious nachos.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Yum! Sounds good! I made chili in the crockpot yesterday.

Duly Inspired said...

Perfect timing! I have the ingredients and the crockpot, and with this weather I had no intention of going to the grocery store. THANK YOU for dinner!