Friday, May 16, 2008

Steel Magnolias

I got a wild hair yesterday and decided that I was ready to tackle the oh-so-"South'en" wallpaper in our guest bathroom. It never bothered me too badly. I mean, I like magnolias. They're a beautiful flower. And the colors in the wallpaper weren't bad--khaki, white, green--it could've been much, much worse. Considering that we bought this house when I was in my second trimester, the guest bathroom just wasn't a priority in my nesting, so now that the dust has begun to settle a little around here, I was ready to attack.

I used the entire 4 hours that Anna's babysitter was here yesterday to pick at the wallpaper. It was like pealing a sunburn--once you start, you can't stop. For every 15 dime-sized pieces that I pulled off, there was one or two big, foot long pieces that kept me going. A friend of mine (Hi A!) told me that it would be either "very therapeutic or extremely frustrating". I'm going to say that it was very therapeutically frustrating.

I have lofty plans for this bathroom. My vision is cool, clean and crisp, with almost a beach-y feel. I've also decided to never, ever install wallpaper in any house, unless I plan to never be the poor schmo to have to remove it. Wallpaper is the handy work of the devil.

1 comment:

Ann Marie said...

Are you done with the wallpaper?

If not, get a big bottle and fill with water. Saturate one spot with water and then put a hot iron against that spot and let it smoke for a few seconds. Remove iron and scrap.

Good luck! I didn't think you wallpaper was that bad but I know what you mean about those wild hairs. We all get them.