Friday, September 25, 2015

To WOD or not to WOD: That is the source of my twitching



In the spring, I joined a Crossfit box. This particular "box" (as Crossfit gyms are called. I'm assuming "box" refers to the fact that it's just a structure and lacks certain amenities, such as oh...heating, air conditioning, running water, toilets, etc) offers bootcamp classes in addition to Crossfit classes. The bootcamp classes usually mirror the Crossfit WODs, (more on this terminology soon enough) but include more cardio and slightly lighter weights. I liked the idea of being able to do either workout, depending on how I felt that particular day.

I've been attending classes there for 6 months now and there is something that I need to get off my chest:

Primarily, it's the use of the term "WOD." I know this is a Crossfit thing. WOD stands for Workout Of the Day. I'm fine with that; however, I do consider myself a wordsmith. I love words. While I'm rarely eloquent, I do appreciate people who have a way with words.  I love it when just the perfect word is used in a sentence that accurately conveys how the speaker or writer feels and something clicks in your brain and, I swear, endorphins are released. So, you can imagine the pronounced flinching that results in my brain when I hear people using WOD as a verb, using it in past tense, present tense, as an adverb, proper noun, etc. Let me give you an example of a conversation that you might overhear at my gym...er, "box":

"So, this WOD today, huh? Whew! I WODed yesterday and man, while I was WODing, I was thinking, 'this WOD is the WODiest WOD that we've had in a while.' I can't wait to WOD again tomorrow with my fellow WODers."*



So, as you can imagine, I try to refrain from using WOD too much. I don't mind referring to the WOD as in, "I don't like today's WOD very much" because, in my head, it's perfectly appropriate to shorten a mouthful, in this instance. However, you'll never hear me talking about WODing--you just won't. I'll happily tell you that I can't talk on the phone right now because I'm currently working out. Or, I might even go into detail and tell you the intricacies of my workout, such as, "I am, as we speak, performing 75 air squats, 100 wall balls, 30 box jumps and 10 tire flips and will do so as many rounds as possible in 30 minutes." (But all of this is moot because I hate talking on the phone and for sure wouldn't be talking on the phone at the gym...er, box.) At least I can hold my head up high after saying that, instead of talking in some strange "jock-speak." Which, by the way, every time someone says "WODed" I hear "WADDED"--like, "I wadded up this snotty tissue and threw it away." Because, you know, WADDED is a REAL word. WODed? Is not.

This has been weighing heavily on me for awhile. I feel better now, having put it out into the universe. I feel as though a 75# bar has been lifted off of my back and that I've completed yet another WOD at the box.

Also? Hi...it's been about 2 years since I posted. Did you miss me?

*It pained me greatly to type that and, while it is an exaggeration, it's not too far off.

No comments: