Monday, April 01, 2013

Stickin' it to the man

Is it just me, or are prices at the grocery store going up at an alarming rate? That, coupled with the fact that my kids are growing and consuming copious amounts of food (namely, pre-packaged snacks) means that our grocery budget is getting stretched each month. I can't very well deny my children food when they're hungry but I can stop buying over-priced, pre-packaged snack foods. So, here's what I did today:


Simply put, I went to the grocery store and bought a bag of pretzels, bag of Pirate Booty, bag of pita chips and a box of graham crackers then came home and divided this up into individual portions. This is my kids' snack drawer in the pantry. Now, when they're hungry, they can come and get something out of the snack drawer and help themselves. I'd like to tweak this process a little by figuring out a way to eliminate the waste of the little Ziploc baggies. I might try to reuse them as many times as possible but might end up resorting to Gladware or something more easily re-used.

Also, in our fridge, the bottom drawer houses the fruit and veggies that my kids can easily eat by themselves (Cuties that are easily peeled, for example). I'm hopeful that this new setup will help to eliminate the constant barking at me for food that I've grown quite tired of as well as encourage my kids to eat just a smidgen more healthfully. Wish me luck.

No comments: