Friday, September 02, 2011

When it rains, it pours...

Except, you know, when it doesn't rain. At all. Like for the past 11 months. This drought and this heat have thoroughly pissed me off. Welcome, September. Please be good to us.

So, about that "when it rains, it pours"-thing: over the past 6 days, we've received a deluge of mishaps. We've had 2 cars either in the shop or otherwise in disrepair (one, leaving us stranded 150 miles from home); 2 large limbs fall from a neighbor's tree, onto our house. The first, trapping our pet sitter's car in our driveway and doing some damage to our house. The second limb took out our rickety fence, that we prayed would blow away during Hurricane Ike, but somehow managed to remain unscathed then. This limb, however, took that fence down for the count. Then, today, on our 32nd (ish) day of triple digit temps, the kids and I came home to find our air conditioner not working. No problem, says Jenny, I'll just call our trusty ac man to come and fix us right up.

Oh, but no. Trusty ac guy was on his way out of town for the long holiday weekend. Luckily, I was able to grab the latest copy of our neighborhood newspaper and called the first air conditioning company listed in the ads section. The owner came, installed a new thermostat and we're up and running again.

Seriously though, what else can break around here? I'm thinking we're about due a major plumbing malfunction. Probably of the backed-up-sewer-variety, ya think?

No comments: