Now that I'm quite obviously big and pregnant and am in no way trying to hide it (complete with waddle and belly rubbing), I notice women giving me the funniest looks--sort of "I've been there, honey" kind of looks. I don't think that I look uncomfortable or miserable, but I keep catching women giving me sympathetic smiles and winks. I find it rather amusing.
A couple of weeks ago, (actually, the day that we made the flying trip to Babies R Us to get the car seat, et al) we stopped by Lowe's on the way home. I'd already been on my feet, walking around for the past couple of hours, so I was getting really tired and "Braxton-Hicks-y" (which is a phrase that I've coined during this pregnancy). Kevin was in the power tool department, scrutinizing the difference between a hydrofluoric screwing tong and a rotating pie crust spreader, (or something like that) when I got sort of faint-feeling and knew that I needed to sit down. Now, you have to visualize what I look like on any given day--especially on a weekend day: All of my maternity tops at this point, are stained into oblivion, possibly torn somewhere and stretched out in the belly area--assuming that they still stretch OVER said belly area. The bottom-half of my body is usually clothed in some sort of sweat pant-type of pant, that's probably stained too and pilled in the crotch-area from my thighs rubbing together. My hair is limp, greasy and in dire need of a color touch-up and a cut (note to self: make hair appointment THIS week and possibly pedicure appointment too 'cause who the heck knows when I'll get a chance to go to a salon after the baby is born). Anyway, I'm probably not the picture of a glowy, child-bearer, goddess-type at this point in the pregnancy. So, I waddle outside at Lowe's to sit in one of the porch swings that they have set up near the entrance. Just sitting there for the next 20 min or so, I got probably 35 of those "looks" from women. It was funny and sort of sweet at the same time. It's like I've joined a sisterhood of women who've forged the trail on which I waddle.
No comments:
Post a Comment